Secondary Occupational Specialist Application Packet
The following guidelines are intended for those individuals who want to teach in a high school PTE program by meeting the requirements of industry-based certification.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to have all required certification materials submitted together in one packet. An applicant who carefully prepares their application packet using the following guidelines will receive their certificate/credential in the least amount of time. An application will not be evaluated until all materials have been received.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1) Completed and signed application (Form C2 - Application for an Idaho Secondary Occupational Specialist)
- Educational Data: Transcripts (if applicable) from the college or university demonstrating completion of a related postsecondary degree.Only official transcripts will be accepted. Transcripts should be included in the application packet.
- Employment Experience: Resume may be used to document employment experience. Resume should be included in application packet.
- Occupational Related Licensure (if applicable): Documentation of licensure from appropriate state agency and requirements for their teaching of a PTE program. Copies should be included in the application packet.
2) Completed fingerprint card
Applications must include a completed fingerprint card. The Idaho certificate/credential will not be issued until the results of the criminal history background check are received from the Bureau of Criminal Investigations/FBI. A card verifying eligibility for certification will be issued if the applicant meets all academic requirements for certification. Possession of this card will allow a person who is academically eligible for certification to pursue employment as an Idaho educator pending results of the criminal history check. A fingerprint card is not required for those seeking an evaluation only.
Fingerprint cards are not available on the State Department of Education website. Please contact Shannon Haas at (208) 332-6888 or Cathi Day at (208) 332-6883 for further information regarding fingerprint requirements and to obtain the fingerprint card and instructions. Click here for the Fingerprinting/Criminal History Checklist website.
3) Application and Background Check Fees
The application and background check fees are due and payable at the time that you submit your application packet.
- One check or money order for both fees is acceptable
- $75 for the certificate/credential fee
- $34.75 for the fingerprinting/criminal history background check (if first-time applicant for an Idaho teaching credential)
Checks and money orders are to be made payable to State Department of Education. Credit cards are not accepted. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins. Click here for customer service guidelines for walk-ins.
If you are an out-of-state applicant requesting an evaluation only, the $75 application fee is valid for only two (2) years. If a certificate/credential is not issued within two (2) years from receipt of the application, a new $75 fee will be required
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027