Renewal of a Secondary Standard Certificate with PTE Endorsement
The certificated educator has sole responsibility for maintaining current, valid Idaho certification. For renewal purposes, the applicant must meet current State Board of Education rule and Idaho statutory renewal requirements.
NOTE: The applicant is responsible for notifying the State Department of Education certification office of either a name change or change of address.
All regular Idaho credentials must be renewed every five (5) years to remain valid. The renewal application and $75 fee may be submitted anytime after January 1 of the year in which the certificate expires.
A complete packet must include the following items:
1) Completed and signed application (Form B1-R - Application for Renewal of an Idaho Certificate/Credential)
2) Application Fee - $75
Checks and money orders are to be made payable to State Department of Education. Payment is non-refundable. Cash in exact amount will be accepted for walk-ins. Click here for guidelines for walk-ins.
3) Verification of completion of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course (ICLC), or passage of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment (ICLA) (if applicable)
NOTE: If an educator holding an Idaho credential is required to meet the literacy provisions of Section 33-1207A, Idaho Code, he/she must complete the SBOE-required three (3) semester credit hours of the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course or pass the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Assessment or obtain a written waiver. If a letter signed by the superintendent and board chair is sent to the certification office requesting a waiver for an individual to not be held accountable for the requirements for this statute, this request will be considered.
Click on the following webpage to determine who is required to meet the ICLC/ICLA requirement: Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment
IMPORTANT: All certificated personnel will be required to complete at least six (6) semester credit hours or the equivalent within the five (5)-year period of validity of the certificate being renewed.
Credits taken for recertification/renewal:
- Must be educationally related to the professional development of the applicant.
- Must be specifically tied to content areas and/or an area of other endorsement.
- Must be specific to pedagogical best practices or for administrative/teacher leadership; or be tied to a specific area of need designated by district administration.
- At least three (3) semester credits must be taken for university or college credit.
- In-service hours may be used by Idaho educators who hold a current Idaho teaching certificate as a substitute for up to three (3) of the six (6) semester credit hours required for certificate renewal. Fifteen (15) contact hours are equivalent to one (1) in-service hour. Continuing Education Units are not accepted. Verification of completion of equivalent in-service (Form B7 - Verification of Completion of Equivalent In-service) must be provided upon request to verify the recertification credits completed through district approved in-service.
- Official transcripts must be provided upon request to verify the recertification/renewal credits completed through an accredited college or university. If the transcripted course is not directly educationally related to the content area a signed Verification of College/University Course Content Approval form ( Form B13 - Verification of College/University Course Content Approval) must accompany the official transcripts. Official transcripts must be submitted with the renewal application if adding a new certificate or endorsement area.
NOTE: You are NOT required to submit verification of the six (6) professional development credits with the renewal application; however, the state will be auditing a minimum of 10 percent of teachers annually. You may receive a letter requesting official transcripts and the verification of equivalent in-service. If you are unable to provide the requested documentation your certificate will not be renewed. Submitting a fraudulent application for certification is grounds for discipline (see Idaho Code of Ethics).
Recertification credits may not be carried over from one (1) renewal/recertification period to the next.
Mail completed application materials to:
State Department of Education
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720-0027