School Counselor Laws
- Idaho State law regarding elementary school counselors
Legislature Website , Statute 33-1212, Elementary School Counselors
- Administrative Rules of the Idaho State Board of Education 08.02.03 Rules Governing Thoroughness
- Section 104 Other Required Instruction: Parent Approved Four Year Planner. No later than the end of grade eight(8)all students will develop parent-approved student learning plans for their high school and post-high school options. The learning plan will be developed by students and parents or guardians with advice and recommendation from school personnel. It will be reviewed annually and may be revised at any time.
- Section 108. Guidance Programs
- Section 160. Safe Environment and Discipline (requires comprehensive districtwide policy and procedure encompassing the following:
- School Climate
- Student Health
- Violence Prevention
- Gun-Free Schools
- Substance Abuse- Tobacco, Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Suicide Prevention
- Student Harassment
- Drug-free School Zones
- Building safety including Evacuation Drills
- Section 170. Citizenship (Character Ed. Programs)
- For assistance with the Parent Approved Four Year Planner
- Idaho School Counselor Association (ISCA) website contains the Idaho Comprehensive Guidance Model and the ISCA Strategic Plan. This website also contains a variety of “RESOURCES” and links to related state and national organizations.
- The website SchoolCounselor.com contains technology information for school counselors including: training; resources; lesson plans; online store; newsletters and publications.
- Joint School District No. 2 (Meridian) Policy 602.8 K-12 Guidance and Counseling Programs
Sharing Among Professionals
Do you have resources or thoughts that you want to share with your colleagues regarding school counselor laws? Contact us with your thoughts and copies of those resources. Put "School Counselor Laws Toolkit Resources" in the subject line. If the material is appropriate for this website, it will be added to this page!